Face – To overcome by confronting boldly or bravely
Fear – Something that causes fright or apprehension
Definitions provided by Webster’s Dictionary
We all have fears. It is perfectly normal to feel fear. As mentioned in the previous post titled “What Are You Afraid Of?”, it is human nature to be afraid from time to time.
Regardless of what types of fears may stand in our way, we must not allow such fears to defeat or define us.
Instead, we must face our fears head on with the mindset that we will defeat them.
This mindset is not developed overnight. Instead, it is worked at over time and requires strength, determination, and confidence.
Our problems are only as big as we create them to be. Our worries are only as rational as we analyze them to be. Our fears are only as real as we allow them to be.
The following are productive methods through which to consciously fight your demons and face your fears:
- When fears first begin to race through your mind, take a deep breath in through your mouth and out through your nose
- Remind yourself that fear is perfectly normal, though rarely rational
- Force yourself into challenging situations which make you apprehensive or uncomfortable
- Don’t give up or allow yourself to be defeated in the process
- Know that you are doing everything in your power to overcome your issues
Throughout your ongoing battle with your fears, consistently remind yourself of the following:
- “I am bigger than this”
- “I am better than this”
- “I am stronger than this”
While fighting your demons and facing your fears, make sure to keep one eye on your current road while keeping the other on the road ahead. Don’t lose sight of your ultimate goal or the big picture.
When all is said and done, you will be a stronger person.